OPG Fees and Exemptions
Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) fees for registering Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) grants
£82 inc vat for a Health and Welfare LPA
£82 inc vat for a Property and Financial Affairs LPA
Exemption from LPA Registration Fees
If you get any of the following means-tested benefits and have not been awarded damages of more than £16,000 (which were disregarded when determining eligibility for the benefit), you don’t have to pay the LPA registration application fee:
• Income Support
• Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Pension Guarantee Credit element of State Pension Credit
• A combination of Working Tax Credit and either Child Tax Credit, Disability Element Working Tax Credit or Severe Disability Element (within the Working Tax Credit).
The following benefits do not give you a discount:
• Disability Living Allowance or Invalidity Benefit
• Housing Benefit
• Council Tax Benefit (not the 25% single person reduction or exemption)
• Local Housing Allowance
To apply for an exemption of fees, you must provide us copies of recent letters (dated within the last three months) confirming receipt of the benefits above, such as letters from the DWP or benefit provider.
Remission (50% discount) on LPA Registration Fees
If your annual income is less than £12,000 before tax, you will pay half the normal registration fee (i.e. £41 per LPA).
Gross annual income may come from employment, non-means-tested benefits (such as Attendance Allowance and Disability Living Allowance), pensions and interest from capital investments.
To apply for a discount, you must provide us proof of your gross annual income, such as wage slips, bank statements or statements from a pension provider. The evidence provided should cover a period of at least three months.